Friday, August 26, 2005

... in which the Fool's brain is too preoccupied with Dune

... After a week's worth of reading through the first book, I must admit, I was disgusted at the start of the Butlerian Jihad (the first book of the Legends of Dune trilogy) but find myself hooked to it like drugs.

Really, when you have several hobbies to attend to in a day, its impressive for one single book to make you forget about everything else and just keep reading until its done. The last book that did this to me was Neil Gaiman's American Gods, over a few years ago...

And strangely enough, the series just seems to get better as I'm reading into the second book, the Machine Crusade. The free humans, now united under one banner, try to do all they can about liberating other worlds under the control of the thinking machines (while ignoring many of their own abominable practices), sacrificing hundreds of thousands of lives, just to liberate a single planet. The stories are effectively brutal enough, and much of the prose makes you care about the plights of some of the characters themselves (even an evil thinking machine...) all in all, its a pretty good read.

I just hope it carries this momentum into the third book (I'm well over 2/3 through with the Machine Crusade), unlike in the very horrible House Corrino, the third book in the Prequels to Dune trilogy. The well-planned intrigue and romance just sort of fell apart in that book, and all it ever resolved, were the plot threads that were made up in the first book for that trilogy... Very disappointing, to say the least.

Yesterday, I managed to watch The Longest Yard with Jenny, and I was rather surprised that she enjoyed the movie (I didn't know that she'd enjoy sports-themed movies, but then again, we did watch Wimbledon before, so I shouldn't have second-guessed myself). That's not to say that I didn't enjoy watching how the prisoners played football against the guards, its just a very good comedy movie for me.

Of course, the appearance of no less than 3 professional wrestlers boosted the effect that the movie had on me. I had a hell of a time just trying to look for who else was in the movie. Not to mention the many inane comments made by both Chris Rock and Adam Sandler in the movie. Despite having a very simple plot, it was a solid movie althroughout. Definitely a must-watch this week for everyone.

Not to mention just to take a look at the trailer for George Romero's new zombie flick: Land of the Dead. It looks a little better than Day of the Living Dead but I could be wrong.

I was wondering, what if the WWE made a football movie with only their wrestlers as their stars? I mean, there they were, big jocks training for "the main event", a match that would either make or break their team into the big leagues, but before they can get there, they'll be forced to fight against their friends... Or screw that plot, they're wrestlers, they can improvise!!! Besides, it would show the world that other wrestlers, not just The Rock, can be big named stars too...

Or maybe I'm just deluding myself.