Saturday, October 08, 2005

... in which the Fool is disappointed by his usual netshop

I just borrowed a 128Mb flash drive from Dennis, and I wanted to test it out, just to see if its still ok, and to see how susceptible it is to online threats.

So after some lunch at Jolibee, I headed over to my usual netshop just beside my review school, and lo and behold!!!!

They had units that could handle the flash drive!

Giddy as a little girl, I tried my best to hide my excitement, while "calmly" inserting the device to the USB port at the back of the CPU. I sat back and accessed the many different sites that I was itching to download stuff from, and imagine my surprise when everytime the final window to click comes on, it suddenly times out...

At first, I thought it was a glitch, that one of the sites was just having problems today. Nope. No such luck. I tried downloading small files, music, anything I could get my hands on... Nothing. It looks like the only pc that had WinXP was barely configured, it was there just to humor people who wanted to use XP features, and use basic functions, such as office and browse the net...

Bah. That means I'll have to go either to school again or to Netopia (that overpriced friggin' netplace) just to get my stuff.

Anyway, here's a little something I got from Santi's record:
Seven in Maker Model
Despite numerous attempts by the government to conceal it, Seven (Johnny Depp) accidentally explores a large crate marked "Do Not Explore". His weblog posts about it are the talk of the blogosphere, garnering him the attention of a handful of the wrong people. Jenny (Drew Barrymore) is put out of the picture by a fiendish double agent, Terence (Jimmy Fallon). Turn on a paradigm, and become part of this adventure this July!
Produced by ianiceboy



Try it too if you've got the time.

Anyway, I'm getting irritated by this keyboard I'm using, the "R" key has sunk to the bottom of the keyboard, and I have no idea how hard or soft I'm supposed to push the damned key just to write anything with an "r" in it. I have no idea why out of every key here, its only the "r" key that's sunk that low, while every other key is perfectly alright.

Nowhere near as irritating as last night's traffic jam though. My family and I went to Makati Shangri-la last night to celebrate an uncle's 60th birthday. We ate at Circles, that buffet restaurant thing that serves chinese, indian, american, japanese, and italian cuisine, plus a huge dessert, appetizer, and seafood table. The place was impressive, and I went back several times to the buffet table to have some more food (the roti canan with orange or yellow curry was particularly worthwhile).

Of course, there's the matter of going home after dinner. Since we were safe inside the hotel last night, we had no idea how strong the rain was outside (we knew it was raining, other people texted us to be careful on our way home because of the rain, and possible flooding). We were already fortunate that the rain stopped when we finally decided to stop pigging out and leave.

Unfortunately, the trip home took something like 2.5 hours. We got stuck in South Super Highway with hundreds of other people, all probably wondering why in the world the cars in front were not moving. All the while my uncle was mouthing off like a raving lunatic that we should have taken this route or that route just to avoid the traffic despite the fact that he absolutely no idea how to get to or from Makati in the first place. And his endless complaining about the traffic was not helping matters at all...

Sigh. What a horrendous ending to such a nice day.

Well, anyway, as a result of that, I felt like a zombie this morning. I woke up at 6, moved from the bedroom, to the master's bedroom to watch anything on tv to rouse me up. It didn't work.

This is what happened:

6:00AM -- alarm clock blares in the background. My poor tired brain interprets the noise as some form of background music in my dream, and ignores it. It takes me over 5 minutes to even think of waking up and checking my alarm clock if it rang.

6:30AM -- slowly move from one bedroom to the other, turning on the TV just to make sure that I stay awake.

6:31AM -- manage to switch the channel to something that shows aerobics. I think of joining in to wake myself, but decide to do so after 5 minutes of sleep.

7:30AM -- wake up just to realize its way past 7, and that gransazers is on tv.

7:31AM -- unconsciously drift back to sleep.

8:00AM -- wake up feeling the heat, turn on the fan only to realize that its already late.

This pattern continues as soon as I arrive in school, sleeping through readings until the last module, where I find myself very excited that its nearly over.

Bah...